Accident graphic

A Sunday night collision between two vehicles in Rio Vista resulted in two deaths and two injuries.

Rio Vista and Cleburne firefighters responded about 8:50 p.m. to the 4100 block of Texas 174. The wreck involved a Ford Mustang and a minivan.

Cleburne firefighters received word that the some of the wreck victims were entrapped, that CPR was in progress on one of the persons involved and that one of the vehicles was on fire. Cleburne firefighters, while still en route, learned that there was no fire but that at least one of the victims was deceased.

The minivan sustained heavy front-end damage and the driver was entrapped. The Mustang, which was on its roof, also sustained heavy damage. A female entrapped in the Mustang was pronounced dead at the scene. The Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s website later identified her as Jessica Elizabeth Diaz, 29. The site does not list Diaz’ city of residence.

The Mustang’s driver was ejected during the wreck and was also pronounced dead at the scene. Medical examiners identified him as Christopher Lane Harvison, 22. The site does not list Harvison’s city of residence. 

The driver of the minivan and an 11-year-old female passenger were flown to Fort Worth hospital’s in critical condition. No additional details of their conditions have been released. The cause of the accident remains under investigation.

Cleburne fire calls

Cleburne firefighters responded to a smoke alarm activation call at 4:12 p.m. Oct. 24 in the 1700 block of West Henderson Street. 

Once on scene, the manager of the Motel 6 asked firefighters to reset the alarm. Pizza rolls had overheated and started to smoke, but did not catch on fire, the manager told firefighters. 

Firefighters reset the alarm, checked the pizza rolls to ensure they were no longer smoking and cleared the scene.

Firefighters responded to a possible HAZMAT spill situation at 3:08 p.m. Saturday in the 600 block of Rose Avenue. 

They found a bright green liquid along the curb side of Rose and Granbury streets. The liquid originated from a vehicle parked at 706 Rose St. The owner said he was trying to find a leak in the car’s cooling system by using a UV fluorescent dye. The dye had leaked from the car to the roadway. 

The owner said he emptied the cooling system before pouring the dye in. Firefighters determined the dye to be harmless and soaked it up with absorbent material.

Firefighters responded at 9:56 a.m. Sunday to the 1200 block of Surry Place Drive on reports of the smell of methyl mercaptan, the chemical added to natural gas. 

Firefighters found a leaking gas meter upon arrival and closed the valve to it. No one was home at the residence. Firefighters checked the home’s windowsills and doorways but found no signs of natural gas. Atmos repair workers responded to the scene to correct the problem.

Firefighters responded at 1:41 p.m. Oct. 25 to the 400 block of North Wilhite Street on reports of an arcing transformer. Firefighters determined there was no immediate hazard but firefighters contacted Oncor repair workers to the scene to assess the situation.

Firefighters at 1:05 p.m. the same day responded to the 2200 block of North Main Street where they found a power line down in a parking lot. Firefighters remained on scene until repair workers from the power company arrived. 

Firefighters responded to reports of the smell of electrical smoke in a residence at 12:14 p.m. Wednesday in the 300 block of Red Oak Drive. 

They noticed a faint odor that smelled like it could possibly be electrical. The owners informed firefighters that the house is all electric. The owners said they had been running the heater for about a week. Firefighters the home but found no signs of trouble. The smell had dissipated by that time. Firefighters told the owners to call them back if the smell returned.

Firefighters responded to reports of a hot electrical smell at a bank at 12:37 p.m. Oct. 23 in the 1600 block of West Henderson Street. The bank manager told firefighters there was a “hot electrical smell” in the server room but no fire. 

Firefighters determined a dedicated heater in the server room to be the source of the smell. The heater was dirty but did not appear to be malfunctioning. 

Firefighters unplugged it and told the manager to have it serviced before turning it back on.

React to this story:


Recommended for you