Larisa Rivera

A Grandview woman involved in a Jan. 8 traffic accident was arrested last week on a charge of intoxication assault.

A Texas Department of Public Safety trooper responded to the accident scene at 6:45 a.m. on Farm-to-Market Road 2738 near County Road 528.

Larisa Rivera, 22, was traveling northbound in a Toyota Corolla owned by her friend Victoria Leal, 21, according to court documents. Leal was in the passenger seat at the time of the accident.

Rivera entered a curve, temporarily left the northeast side of the road and over corrected back onto the road before exiting the southwest side of the road and entering a ditch, according to reports. The Toyota traveled 75 to 100 feet before striking a culvert at which time the car flipped onto the passenger side and came to rest in a driveway where it caught fire, according to reports.

The residents of the home ran outside after they heard and felt the collision. One of the residents kicked the car’s windshield out to pull Rivera to safety after which Rivera and both residents of the home helped Leal exit the vehicle, according to reports.

Both were out of the car by the time the DPS officer arrived. Rivera told the officer that she was driving, according to reports. The officer noted that Rivera’s demeanor was lethargic and altered as they spoke. Rivera told the officer that she and Leal were together throughout the night and had been drinking alcohol, according to reports.

Rescue workers transported Rivera and Leal to John Peter Smith Hospital.

The officer followed and noted a strong presence of alcohol emitting from Rivera as she lay in a hospital bed. The couple apparently left a bar in Burleson and went to a friend’s apartment followed by a stop at another friend’s house where they continued to consume alcohol, according to reports.

Blood collected from Rivera showed to have an alcohol concentration of .144, according to reports.

Leal suffered serious injuries, according to court records. Rivera’s charge of intoxication assault comes in connection with Leal’s injuries.

A judge set Rivera’s bond at $150,000 and instituted conditions of bond requiring an interlock on her vehicle and random drug screening.

A Feb. 9 Times-Review story recounts Rivera’s rescue by the resident of the house where the Toyota crashed, Lindell Marbut, who is 85, and his caretaker. The story also detailed a GoFundMe account set up to benefit Rivera by her employer.

The seat belt cut into Rivera’s abdomen damaging her intestines and requiring the removal of 18 inches, according to the story. She remained hospitalized for four days and was unable to return to work for several weeks thereafter. Leal, according to the same article, suffered severe injuries as well but has since recovered.

React to this story:


Recommended for you