A lightning strike appears to be the cause of a recent apartment fire.

Cleburne firefighters responded at 11:19 p.m. June 1 to the 400 block of North Hyde Park Boulevard to find no initial signs of fire.

The occupant complained of smoke and water in her unit. The woman told firefighters she heard a loud boom that she believes lightning caused after which her lights went out. 

Firefighters, upon entering the apartment, encountered light smoke and water running out of the bathroom ceiling. The water flow had caused all the bathroom’s sheetrock to fall. A burned PVC pipe above the bathroom appeared to be the culprit, according to reports.

Apartment maintenance workers cut off water to the unit.

Firefighters inspected the attic area above the apartment’s bedroom and found a small fire, which was contained to one ceiling joist, an intersecting electrical wire, a water pipe and a small duct to a vent fan. Firefighters quickly extinguished the small blaze with a hand line. A check of adjoining apartments for signs of fire extension turned up negative.

Firefighters discovered an outside vent duct they believe may have sustained a lightning strike. The duct was melted in a manner that suggests it ignited the insulation and frame work of the attic area.

Firefighters responded at 9:03 a.m. May 31 to the Cleburne Chamber of Commerce in response to reports of possible lightning strike to the building. Chamber employees said lights in the building had been flickering for the past half hour and some went off. Firefighters walked outside where they found Oncor workers repairing blown fuses on a utility pole across the street. Once the repairs completed light returned to the chamber. A check of the premises uncovered no signs of fire or smoke.

Firefighters responded to a lawn mower fire at 1:57 p.m. May 30 in the 200 block of Country Club Road to find a riding mower fully engulfed near a fence in a hay field. Seventy-five gallons of water put quit to the fire. The owner said the mower’s fuel line was leaking and the fuel ignited once the engine got hot. The man said his glove caught fire in the blaze but that he was not injured.

Firefighters responded at 3:03 a.m. June 1 to the 200 block of Royal Street to find smoke and fire showing from the eaves of a house. A check revealed that no one was home. Firefighters extinguished the fire with about 750 gallons of water then checked for fire and heat extension but found none.

A work light hanging by an extension cord near the corner of the home likely started the fire.

Firefighters responded to an elevator mishap at 2:33 p.m. May 31 at Wright Plaza to find the elevator stuck between the building’s first and second floors with one person inside.

Firefighters forced the second floor door open and lowered a ladder to the elevator’s roof. A firefighters removed the hatch atop the elevator and, with a help of a safety belt, removed the victim who reported no injuries.

Firefighters responded to a possible structure fire at 7:51 p.m. June 1 in the 1600 block of East Farm-to-Market Road 4. They found instead that a controlled burn got away from the property owner. Firefighters extinguished the fire with 750 gallons of water and report no injuries or structure damage.

Firefighters responded to a vehicle fire at 7:33 p.m. May 16 in the 400 block of East Second Street to find light smoke emitting from the engine bay of an RV. The owner told firefighters the fire was already out. Firefighters sprayed the engine compartment, and the grass underneath the RV, down just to make sure. The owner said the engine backfired then caught fire but that he extinguished it with an extinguisher. Reports indicate that firefighters responded to the same RV on their previous shift at which time the engine was overheated and smoking. 

Firefighters responded to a possible structure fire at 9:46 a.m. June 1 in the 200 block of North Wood Street. Occupants, who were already outside, told firefighters an electrical outlet was smoking. The outlet showed a bad ground when tested. Firefighters cut power to the breaker and advised the homeowners to contact repair workers.

Firefighters, noticing that the home had no smoke detectors, installed two.

Firefighters responded to an earlier possible structure fire call at 7:44 p.m. May 27 in the 600 block of Baird Street but found no signs of fire.

The secondary power line of the power pole nearest the residence had fallen onto and melted the cable wire that fed the house. Firefighters remained until Oncor repair workers arrived.

Firefighters responded to a possible fire and smoke scare call at 5 p.m. Thursday in the 2000 block of Granbury Street but found no signs of smoke or fire upon arrival. A check determined that one of the nursing home’s A/C units was hot and had a malfunctioning fan. Firefighters shut the unit off and employees called repair workers to address the problem.

Firefighters responded to a fire alarm call at 4:45 a.m. May 29 in the 900 block of Thurman Street. The homeowner told firefighters that his wife heard a fire alarm go off but he didn’t. The man told firefighters he believes his wife may just be hearing things, according to reports.

The wife insisted the alarm chirped but then stopped. Firefighters found no signs of smoke or fire and advised the couple to change the batteries in their smoke detector. The firefighters even offered to come back and do it for them.

Firefighters battle lawn mower and glove fire

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0