Fire graphic

A Cleburne man suffered substantial burns during a Saturday apartment fire, The man, whose name has not been released, was flown to a Fort Worth hospital via a CareFlite helicopter. Firefighters had no details of the man’s condition as of Thursday other than to say that he is still alive.

Upon their arrival to the scene, Cleburne police on scene informed Cleburne firefighters that the occupant, who is deaf, might still be in the apartment. Firefighters forced entry into the apartment and found the man still asleep.

A second occupant of the apartment managed to exit without injury.

Firefighters responded at 10:47 p.m. to the apartment building in the 100 block of Northridge Drive. They found heavy black smoke emitting from the bottom floor apartment and made entry noting that, “immediately, the heat was withering,” according to reports.

Thermal imaging proved vital as visibility was limited to inches. Firefighters opened doors and windows for ventilation and used about 800 gallons of water to bring the fire under control. The fire heavily damaged the structural elements of the unit above but the spread of the fire remained contained to the unit of origin. 

The apartment building is older, according to reports, with electricity supply “distributed in an uncommon fashion.”

Firefighters located the panel box and cut power to six units. A check of the upstairs apartment revealed no additional damage or victims.

Firefighters remained on scene until 12:54 a.m. extinguishing the fire and cleaning up.

The fire began in the apartment’s living room but reports list no cause.

Cleburne firefighters responded to an earlier house fire call at 4:14 p.m. May 17 in the 900 block of Poindexter Avenue.

The original call listed the incident as a vehicle fire but firefighters, while en route, learned that it had since become a structure fire.

Firefighters arrived to find flames and heavy smoke showing from one side of the house with the garage being the area most involved. Debris on a trailer parked near the garage appears to have been the origin of the fire as flames lapped the side of the garage causing the fire to spread.

The garage door was down when firefighters arrived. They made entry and employed hoses to quickly knock the fire down. All occupants were out of the house.

Firefighters located a small amount of fire just above the garage in the attic area, which they extinguished with a small amount of foam mixture. Additional overhaul of the attic area was achieved through a hole cut in the gable eave by firefighters.

A walkthrough determined that the fire had not spread to the interior of the house.

Firefighters removed the garage door with hand tools and saws. The garage had been converted into a separate room, according to reports. A wall two feet from the garage sealing if from the rest of the home helped slow the fire’s advance to the house, according to reports.

Firefighters used about 1,000 gallons of water in fighting the fire. Firefighters noted that the garage was packed with miscellaneous belongings making it difficult for them to advance and fight the fire.

Firefighters responded at 5:39 p.m. May 28 to Lake Pat Cleburne to rescue two adults on flotation devices and a dog wearing a vest. Good samaritans on scene managed to rescue all three at firefighters were launching their boat. None of the three suffered injuries. Firefighters towed their boat back to shore.

Firefighters responded to a traffic accident at 10:58 a.m. May 27 in the 1100 block of East Henderson Street. Two people suffered injuries and were transported to an area hospital via a Keene ambulance. Neither their names nor details of their conditions have been released. Reports list no cause for the accident.

Firefighters were on standby May 20 during a Cleburne Railroaders game. A stray firework from the night’s fireworks show landed near the service road and ignited an area of grass about 20 feet by 40 feet. Firefighters doused the blaze with 40 gallons of water.

React to this story:


Trending Video

Recommended for you