Two Burleson council members, including longtime Mayor Ken Shetter, lost their seats in Tuesday’s election. Shetter came up short, collecting 4.607 votes to challenger Chris Fletcher’s 7,677. Place 4 Councilman Todd Hulsey also lost his re-election bid. Hulsey garnered 5,567 votes not enough to overcome the 5,947 votes his opponent, Tamara Payne collected.
In other Burleson council races, Place 2 Councilman Rick Green and Place 6 Councilman Ronnie Johnson ran unopposed.
On the county level, most races were unopposed. In the sole opposed race — the Precinct 3 commissioner’s seat — Republican candidate Mike White won handily with 13,263 votes. White’s Democratic opponent Chris Evans received 4,776 votes.
On the state level, state Sen. Brian Birdwell, R- Granbury, and state Rep. DeWayne Burns, R-Cleburne, won re-election by wide margins.
City results throughout the county played out largely as expected
• Godley: Acy McGhee ran unopposed for mayor. Michael Papenfuss defeated Tom Frazier 214 to 185 to gain a seat on the city council.
• Joshua: Mike Kidd won the Place 2 council seat with 460 votes. Challengers Doug Taylor and Julian Torrez collected 394 and 256 votes respectively. Robert Fleming ran unopposed for the Place 5 seat.
• Keene: Gary Heinrich remains mayor having collected 485 votes in his re-election bid. Challenger Samantha Gillin received 206 votes while challenger Kevin Michael Romanelli received 202. Lisa Parrish garnered 453 votes to win the Place 1 seat. Challenger Gilbert Perez II won 226 votes. Challenger Cheryle Schram received 186 votes. In the Place II race, Phillip Jackson walked away the winner with 336 votes. Challengers Ray Johnson and James Belz received 189 and 333 votes respectively. Gwen Beeson won the Ward II race capturing 473 votes in the process. Beeson’s opponent, Thomas Gutwa, received 401 votes.
• Rio Vista: Jacob LeJeune won the Place 3 council race with 109 votes. His opponent, Ruth Hardin, collected 95 votes. The Place 4 race went to Kyletha Sanchez with 102 votes to Brenda Hall’s 100. In the Place 5 race, Georgia Jones received 105 votes. Her opponent, Tina Miller, received 53 while the other opponent, Michelle Coffin, received 46.
• Venus: In the mayor’s race, Jeanie Toland Scott beat Omar Sebita by a 314 to 286 count. Geronimo Hernandez Jr. won the Place 4 race collecting 336 votes compared to 251 for opponent Ricardo Lopez. Phyllis Lewis won the Place 5 race with 260 votes. In the same race, Robert McCurdy collected 163 votes while Stephen Cook collected 164.