The city of Burleson has issued a stay-at-home declaration by amending the city’s disaster declaration, the new amendments will take effect at 11:59 p.m. Wednesday and continues until April 13, unless extended by Burleson City Council.
Burleson is the first city in Johnson County to issue such an order. Mayor Ken Shetter urged residents to stay home except for essential needs.
Of three cases of coronavirus in Johnson County, one is in Burleson, one is in Mansfield and one just discovered tonight is unknown at this time, Shetter said.
How are these amendments different from the amendments passed on March 23?
- New amendment prohibits all public and private gathering regardless of size occurring outside a single household are prohibited. Nothing in this declaration, continuation, and renewal prohibits the gathering of members of a household or living unit.That all persons currently residing within the corporate limits of the City of Burleson shall stay at their place of residence, except as allowed by this declaration, continuation, and renewal. All persons may leave their residences only for Essential Travel, to work in Essential Businesses, Government Service, or Essential Critical Infrastructure, or to perform Minimum Basic Operations.To the extent individuals are using shared or outdoor spaces, they must at all times as reasonably as possible maintain Social Distancing of six feet.
- That all businesses operating in the City of Burleson, except Essential Businesses as defined below, are required to close to the public. Non-essential businesses may continue Minimum Basic Operations consisting exclusively of the following as long as Social Distancing is maintained between all employees and contractors during the activities:
- Operations necessary to maintain security, upkeep, and maintenance of premises, equipment or inventory, including but not limited to the care and maintenance of livestock or animals
- IT or other operations that facilitate employees working from home
- Facilitate online or call-in sales performed by employees in a store or facility closed to the public
- In-store repair services performed by employees in a store or facility closed to the public
- New amendment prohibits all elective medical, surgical, and dental procedures anywhere in the City of Burleson. Hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, dental offices, and other medical facilities are directed to identify procedures that are deemed “elective” by assessing which procedures can be postponed or cancelled based on patient risk considering the emergency need for redirection of resources to COVID19 response.
- New amendment addresses increased demand for bath or toilet tissue. Individuals who purchase for resale, retail suppliers are strongly encouraged to use common sense rationing of household products and groceries that are in limited supply.
Essential services are as follows:
Essential Health Care Services.Healthcare operations, including hospitals, clinics, doctors, dentists, pharmacies, pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, other healthcare facilities, healthcare suppliers, home healthcare services providers, mental health providers, substance abuse providers, blood banks, medical research, or any related and/or ancillary healthcare services, veterinary care provided to animals. Home-based care for seniors, adults, or children. Residential facilities and shelters for seniors, adults, and children. Healthcare operations do not include fitness and exercise gyms and similar facilities . Healthcare operations do not include elective medical, surgical, and dental procedures as established in accordance with this declaration, continuation, and renewal.
Essential Government Functions. All services provided by local, state and federal governments needed to ensure the continuing operation of the government agencies to provide for the health, safety and welfare of the public. All Essential Government Functions shall be performed in compliance with social distancing requirements of 6 feet, to the extent possible.
Essential Critical Infrastructure. Work necessary to the operations and maintenance of the 16 critical infrastructure sectors as identified by the National Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Agency (CISA) including public works construction, residential and commercial construction, airport operations, water, sewer, gas, electrical, oil refining, roads and highways, public transportation and other transportation network companies, and ride-sharing services that provide transportation services necessary for the performance of essential activities, essential businesses, essential infrastructure, and essential government function, solid waste collection and removal, internet, and telecommunications systems (including the provision of essential global, national, and local infrastructure for computing services, business infrastructure, communications, and web-based Page 7 of 13 services), financial institutions, defense and national security-related operations, essential manufacturing operations.
Essential Retail. Food service providers, including grocery stores, warehouse stores, liquor stores, bodegas, gas stations, convenience stores, and farmers’ markets and other retail stores that sell food products and household staples, pet and feed stores. Businesses not open to the public that ship or deliver groceries, food, goods or services directly to residences. Restaurants and other facilities that prepare and serve food, but only for delivery, take out, drive- in, drive-through or carry out. Schools and other entities that typically provide free services to students or members of the public on a pickup and take-away basis only. The restriction of delivery or carry out does not apply to cafes and restaurants located within hospital and medical facilities. Laundromats, dry cleaners, and laundry service providers. Businesses that provide for the delivery of, or preparation of vehicles. Businesses that supply products needed for people to work from home, including businesses providing mail and shipping and post office box. Businesses that supply products necessary for essential repairs and maintenance of a home or business. Hotel, motels, and shared rental units, except that all bars, cafes, or restaurants in hotels, motels, and shared rental units are closed except for pick-up and room service.
Providers of Basic Necessities to Economically Disadvantaged Populations. Social services and charitable organizations that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals; that provide food, shelter, and social services, and other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise vulnerable individuals.
Essential Services Necessary to Maintain Essential Operations of Residences or Other Essential Businesses. Trash and recycling collection, processing and disposal, mail and shipping services, building cleaning and maintenance, auto repair, warehouse/distribution and fulfillment, and storage for essential businesses. Plumbers, pool services, security services, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operations of residences, Essential Activities, and Essential Businesses. Professional services, such as legal or accounting services, when necessary to assist in compliance with legally mandated activities.
News Media. Newspapers, television, radio, and other media services.
Financial Institutions. Banks and related financial institutions, consumer lenders, alternative financial services companies, sales and finance lenders, credit unions, appraisers, and title companies. As much business as possible shall be conducted with web-based technology to limit in-person contact.
Real Estate Transactions. Services related to current real estate transactions. As much business as possible shall be conducted with web-based technology to limit in- person contact.
Childcare Services. Childcare facilities providing services that enable employees who perform Essential Activities or work for an Essential Business to work as permitted.
Animal Shelters, Zoos, and Other Businesses that Maintain Live Animals. Businesses that maintain and care for live animals are not permitted to allow any visitors or patrons but may continue to operate to the extent necessary to provide the necessary care for the animals. Nothing in this section shall prohibit a non-employee from entering the premises to perform a health care services or another Essential Business service.
Construction. Construction under a valid permit issued by a governmental entity.
Funeral Services. Funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries may operate but no more than ten non-employees may be present at the same time.
Worship Services. No in-person worship services are permitted. Needed staff can attend to produce audio/video or conduct services for transmission.
Moving Services and Supply.Businesses that provide residential and/or commercial moving services and necessary moving supplies.