The day-long birthday party to celebrate the 100th year of the Johnson County Courthouse is Saturday.
Events will include musical performances, opening of a time capsule in the courthouse cornerstone, dedication ceremonies for the courthouse, the historical marker and the confederate monument and more.
There will be vendor, demonstration and information booths set up around the courthouse square and down South Main at Market Square, rides in the Wells Fargo horse-drawn stagecoach, shoot-outs to entertain visitors and more.
Construction on the Johnson County Courthouse began in 1912 after the previous courthouse was destroyed by fire on April 15, 1912, the same day the Titanic sank. The current courthouse was completed in November 1913 and dedicated Nov. 28, 1913.
The courthouse was renovated in 2006. The day’s scehdule is as follows:
• Concert by the Southwestern Adventist University choice, singing from the third floor of the courthouse.
• Courthouse dedication ceremony in the county commissioners courtroom on the second floor of the courthouse.
The ceremony will include the posting of the colors by the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office Honor Guard, recognition of county residents 100 years old or older, recognition of the oldest churches in the county and businesses that have been operating under the same name for at least a century.
• A performance of “Amazing Grace” on bagpipes and another song by the SWAU choir.
• Retrieval of the time capsule from the courthouse cornerstone on the northeast corner of the building.
The time capsule will be opened, but the contents will be left inside to protect them from damage, and the entire box will be placed inside a plexiglass container in the rotunda in the courthouse basement, so that contents are visible to visitors and still protected from damage.
Contents of the time capsule will be removed at a later date, in a controlled environment by experts trained to deal with fragile historic documents and other relics.