Cleburne firefighters responded to a house fire at 6:13 p.m. Sunday in the 800 block of North Robinson Street to find a fire at the rear of the house burning the home’s wood exterior. Firefighters quickly knocked the fire down. A check of the home’s interior for fire or heat extension proved negative. Firefighters set fans inside the house, however, to clear interior smoke.
An occupant of the house told firefighters she was smoking in back of the house and flicked a cigarette butt in the area where the fire ignited. Firefighters noted several butts on the ground in back of the house. The fire resulted in no injuries.
Firefighters responded to a possible grass fire at 6:41 p.m. the same day in the 100 block of Williams Avenue. Although the initial report came in as a possible trash fire in a trash bin, firefighters arrived to find a small area of grass and debris beside the trash bin on fire. Firefighters sprayed the area down with water to ensure extinguishment.
Firefighters responded to reports of a grass fire at 8:32 p.m. Saturday in the 600 block of Park Street. Instead of a grass fire, firefighters found a fire contained within a small plastic trash barrel. The fire consumed the contents and melted the barrel. Firefighters extinguished the blaze with 15 gallons of water.
Computer repair scam reported
Cleburne police once again remind residents that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is, and urge residents not to send money to anyone contacting them unsolicited with promises of money, prizes or services.
One resident’s computer recently froze, police said, but he was contacted via email by an alleged Internet computer security company who promised to fix his computer with a lifetime warranty for $100. The man paid the fee and his computer began working again, for a short time. It stopped again, however, and the same company contacted him and said they could fix it, this time for $250. When it happened a third time, the man reported the situation to police. The man never met the representatives of the company as they “fixed” his computer via Internet, police said.
Police urge residents who experience the same situation to not send money and to take their computer to a reputable repair shop.
Police responded to a disturbance call at 11:24 a.m. Friday in the 1200 block of West Henderson Street.
A man allegedly asked employees of a business for sexual favors. Police arrested Ronald James Sandefur, 75, of Keene, on a charge of solicitation of prostitution.
Police responded to reports of suspicious activity at 10:34 a.m. Sunday near the intersection of Hemphill and Hyde Park streets to find a vehicle blocking a driveway and the occupants looking into a resident’s backyard. Police towed the vehicle and cited the driver for vehicle parked blocking a private drive.
Police responded to a two-vehicle accident with injuries at 1:31 p.m. Friday near the intersection of North Main and Poplar streets.
The driver of a Ford Focus, traveling southbound in the left turn lane, failed to yield right of way while turning left on to Poplar Street and struck a Ford F-150, which was traveling northbound on North Main Street.
The Ford Focus’ driver was transported by ambulance to John Peter Smith Hospital in unknown condition.
Police responded to a second two-vehicle accident at 5:15 p.m. the same day in the 300 block of West Henderson Street. The driver of a Chevrolet pickup, traveling westbound, rear ended a Ford F-250, which was stopped at a traffic light, according to reports.
The Chevrolet driver said he was pulling his sun visor down when the accident occurred. The Ford driver suffered minor injuries and went to Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Cleburne in a private vehicle.
Police responded to a vandalism call at 4:58 a.m. Sunday in the 2200 block of North Main Street.
Someone sprayed graffiti on a wooden shed and the metal door of a trash bin area at Whataburger.
Police responded to a theft call at 9:42 a.m. the same day. Someone stole the victim’s black semi-automatic pistol.